Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Öppen förskola



So I took the girls to our first Öppen förskola today. Öppen förskola means open preschool. Basically, it is an organized playgroup for children 0-6 and their caregivers. It is housed in a little yellow building next to an elementary school and it led by a nice woman named Carin. Most of the children were between 1 and 2 as most older children go to regular preschool. This open preschool is free and is offered 3 mornings a week for 3 hours at a time and then one afternoon a week for 3 hours. I definitely plan on taking the girls back. There weren't any children Linnea's age this morning, but she had lots of fun playing with all the toys. Carin told me that sometimes there are older children that come to the afternoon one after they get out of school. We're going to try that tomorrow. I met some really nice parents, all of whom speak great English. As I have been noticing a lot in Sweden, about half of the caregivers present were fathers. Seems like the duties are pretty much split 50/50. It also helps that there is great parental leave for dad and moms alike.

Sonja has pretty much given up her morning nap. It's OK with me, I don't want to fight it and it means that we can have more flexibility about going places instead of getting stuck inside all day. I'm still trying to squeeze in some time so I can learn a little Swedish too. So far I can tell I understand a little bit more than I did 3 weeks ago, but I would really like to get better at speaking.

No comments: